Visit us on social media!
Help your students achieve success when applying for an APRN certification examination with ANCC!
1. Overview of ANCC
- View this PowerPoint presentation [PPTX] to learn more about ANCC certifications.
To view embedded videos, please 'Enable Content' and select 'Slide Show.'
2. Steps to Apply for APRN Certification
Help students navigate through the steps to ensure success.
- Download this PDF on the steps to applying for ANCC certification.
3. Professional Organizations for Certification Discounts
Are you a member of a nursing organization? You may be entitled to a discount on ANCC's many products and services. Take a look at the ANCC's Discount Rate Organizations page for the most up-to-date list.
4. Getting Ready for the Exam
ANCC offers the APRN nursing certifications in five nurse practitioner (NP) specialties and one clinical nurse specialist (CNS) specialty. Each certification web page delivers eligibility criteria, online application, and exam preparation resources. For more information, please visit the ANCC Certification Center. Each certification provides a number of resources to help students achieve success! Check out the:
- Test Content Outline
- Test References
- Sample Questions
When ready, students can schedule a time and place most convenient for them to take their ANCC exam through the Prometric website.
5. How to Display ANCC Credentials
- Show students how to proudly display ANCC certification as an APRN using our credential guide!
6. Renewing an ANCC Certification
Renewing an ANCC certification demonstrates a continuing commitment to life-long learning. ANCC certifications are renewed every five years. We make every effort to notify certified nurses of upcoming renewal dates. However, it is the responsibility of each nurse to be aware of his or her expiration date and submit renewal documents on time.
Encourage your students to store their professional development activities in their ANCC account or the MyANCC™ Moble App. It will make the renewal process easier.
ANCC recommends renewal applications be submitted up to three months before the expiration date to ensure seamless certification.
Students may retake a certification exam as soon as 60 days from the last testing date. All candidates who retake the exam must submit a retest application and meet eligibility requirements in effect at that time. They will be given a new 90-day window for testing.
Students have three opportunities to successfully pass an exam within a 12-month period. Here is how you can help them succeed.
Successful tips for retesting:
- Compare the areas that the student needs improvement in to the Test Content Outline in order to determine which areas need additional focus.
- Encourage your students to use ANCC study resources in areas where improvement is needed. These resources are located on the left hand side of each certification page.
8. Verifying Student Certifications
Exciting News! ANCC now offers the option for faculty to log in and check their students’ certifications for free.
- View the ANCC Verifying Student Certifications PDF file to begin the process.
9. Make a Difference in Your Specialty
ANCC is looking for Content Experts to help develop nursing certification exams. Gain invaluable experience and make a difference in your specialty as you earn professional development credit towards your own certification renewal.
Visit the ANCC Content Expert Opportunities page to apply.
- View our PowerPoint presentation about Becoming a Content Expert. This may be an area of interest for faculty.