Apply for Certification
Initial Certification Application
You may apply for this computer-based test year round and test during a 90-day window at a time and location convenient to you. The exam allows 3.5 hours to answer 175 questions (150 scored plus 25 pretest questions that are not scored). For exam prep resources, see the STUDY AIDS & CE left sidebar of this page. If you do not pass a certification exam, learn about retesting.
Step 1: Confirm Eligibility and Pricing
- Hold a current, active RN license in a state or territory of the United States or hold the professional, legally recognized equivalent in another country.
- Hold a master's or higher degree in nursing, or hold a bachelor's degree in nursing and a master's in another field.
- Have held an administrative position at the nurse executive level, or a faculty position teaching graduate students executive-level nursing administration full-time for at least 24 months (or the equivalent) in the last 5 years.
- Have completed 30 hours of continuing education in nursing administration within the last 3 years. This requirement is waived if you hold a master's degree in nursing administration.
(ANCC will accept unofficial transcripts, which ANCC defines as either a photocopy of a transcript, a comprehensive record of your academic progress or a print out of all work completed, to date, including coursework, grades and degree(s) earned or in progress. This will allow ANCC to process and review your application. ANCC will retain the candidate's exam result and will issue certification on the date the final, degree-conferred and official transcript are received, all other eligibility requirements are met, and a passing result is on file. ANCC reserves the right to reject any unofficial transcript that appears to be altered.)
Apply from Outside the U.S.
Learn about additional requirements for candidates outside the U.S.
Step 2: Apply
Step 3: Submit Education Verification Documents
Mail/E-Mail these materials:
||All transcripts (Official/Unofficial)
PO Box 8785
Silver Spring, MD 20907-8785
To maintain certification, complete professional development requirements between the start and end dates of your certification, and provide this information on your renewal application.
Calendar Your Renewal Date
Certifications are renewed every 5 years. You may submit a renewal application up to 1 year prior to your expiration. You may be ineligible to practice beyond your expiration date.
Create an ANCC Account
Track professional development, mail preferences and purchases in one place. Online applications are also stored in your account. Visit Access My Account
Update Contact Information
If you move, change names or acquire a new phone or email, please update contact details in your account. Or email Customer Care or call 1.800.284.2378.
Display Your Credentials
Learn common questions and answers about displaying your credentials in the proper order.
Download How to Display Your Credentials .
Track Professional Development with ANCC
Online renewal is simpler when you store professional development activities in your ANCC account immediately upon completion. At renewal, you can transfer stored information to the renewal application, saving time. Note: To renew online, you must store professional development activities before starting the online renewal application.
- After each activity, gather proof of professional development.
- Click Track Professional Development to the right.
- Enter and save professional development activities.
- From account summary, top right column, under Professional Development find links to enter continuing education (contact hours), academic credits, presentations, publications/research, preceptorship and professional service.
- Log out.
Renewal Certification Application
You may submit a renewal application up to 1 year prior to your expiration.
Step 1: Review Requirements, FAQs, and Pricing
Step 2: Submit Renewal Applicaiton