Information for certification renewals by ANCC Certified Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNS) and Nurse Practitioners (NP) – effective January 1, 2014:
- 25 of the 75 required contact hours must be in pharmacotherapeutics. Important note: If you double category 1, there is NO requirement to double the number of pharmacotherapeutic hours.
- These 25 pharmacotherapeutic hours do not need to be formally ANCC accredited/approved, provided the certified nurse meets the requirements for Category 1 contact hours. (That requirement is: at least 51% of the total number of contact hours must be in your certification role and specialty and at least 50% must be formally ANCC accredited/approved.)
- If an educational program includes pharmacy content, please refer to equivalency table below to determine the number of pharmacotherapeutic hours that could be counted towards re-certification.
1 contact hour = 60 minutes
1 contact hour = 0.1 CEU
1 CEU = 10 contact hours
1 academic semester credit = 15 contact hours
1 academic quarter credit = 12.5 contact hours
1 CME = 60 minutes or 1 contact hour
- The educational presentation or conference agenda may be submitted as evidence to validate the contact hour calculation. A narrative note describing pharmacology content within agenda may also be necessary to validate content. Keep for your records and submit only if audited.
- The same hours submitted to renew certification may be submitted to a State Board of Nursing for re-licensure.
- Pharmacotherapeutic content does not need to be presented by a nurse for the hours to be eligible for certification renewal, however the presenter must have content expertise in pharmacology.
- If a provider is developing content to meet the ANCC pharmacotherapeutic hour requirement, content must specifically address pharmacotherapeutics.
- Pharmacotherapeutic content does not need to be presented by a nurse for the hours to be eligible for certification renewal however the presenter must have content expertise in pharmacology.
- When developing the content for an educational activity, it is recommended that the provider delineate the number of pharmacotherapeutic contact hours.
- Existing continuing education courses/programs that include pharmacotherapeutic content may be reviewed to calculate the appropriate number of pharmacotherapeutic contact hours.
- We recommend that the pharmacotherapeutic contact hours contained within a presentation be calculated when a speaker develops content for an educational activity.
*Pharmacotherapeutic content may include but is not limited to drug specific information, safe prescribing practices, safe medication administration, prescribing methodologies, new regulations or similar content.