The new requirements for EP3EO in the 2014 Manual do not become effective until April 1, 2016. If you submit documents before April 1, 2016, and you choose to continue using the 2014 Manual, ensure that your vendor can provide data in accordance with the requirement of the SOE (4 of 7 categories).
Domains / Dimensions / Scales / Subscales (groups of questions) established as valid and reliable by the vendor must be presented to meet the intent of EP3EO. Each domain must clearly align with 1 of the 7 categories listed in the 2014 Magnet® Application Manual. Individual questions extracted from Domains / Dimensions / Scales / Subscales do not meet the intent of EP3EO.
The nurse (RN) satisfaction survey must include questions related to the following 7 categories. Data must be submitted on your choice of 4 of the 7 categories:
- Professional development (education, resources, etc.)
- Leadership access and responsiveness (includes nursing administration/CNO)
- Interprofessional relationships (includes all disciplines)
- Nursing foundations for quality care
- Adequacy of resources and staffing
- RN to RN teamwork and collaboration
- For single organization applicants: The same 4 categories must be presented for the entire organization (both inpatient and outpatient).
- For system applicants: The same 4 categories must be presented for a single organization within the system; however, each organization may choose four different categories.
Unit level data are required for all units/clinics (inpatient and outpatient) in which nurses practice. A written statement must be included in the documentation to explain why a unit/clinic is not included.
Two examples from different practice settings are required. The examples can include 2 practice settings in the outpatient setting, 2 practice settings in the inpatient setting, or 1 example from the inpatient setting and one from the outpatient setting.
Policies can be appropriate evidence for clinical and organization decision-making autonomy, if the policy includes what is required by the SOE.
When reporting CLABSI and CAUTI data for inpatient units to the Magnet Program, data must be submitted for all units for which the vendor will accept data and for which a benchmark can be provided. Each vendor establishes valid and reliable benchmarked data with comparable organizations and can assist in determining if unit data can be collected on specific units.
The 2014 Manual does not explicitly state that for each of the required indicators only data that are applicable to a particular unit or outpatient clinical area should be reported.
To present data for EP22EO, start by listing each of the indicators:
- For each of the required 4 indicators, include data for all inpatient units that collect and benchmark to a national database.
- For a nurse-sensitive Core Measure, present data at the organizational level compared with a national benchmark.
- For an outpatient indicator, include data from any outpatient area(s) that collects the data and compare to a specialty guideline or internal goal. For instance, if data are collected in the ED and compared with an ED specialty guideline, then no data would be provided from any other outpatient clinic or area for that particular indicator—just from the ED.
- For the Core Measure indicator, choose a nurse-sensitive component of a Core Measure and present the data at the organizational level. The organizational level data is compared with a national benchmark. This is the only nurse-sensitive indicator for the 2014 Manual that presents organization-level data (not unit-level) and compares that data with the national benchmark.
Provide 8 quarters of inpatient, pediatric, and ambulatory/outpatient patient satisfaction data at the unit/clinic level collected within the previous 30 months prior to documentation submission.
Select and report data for 4 of the 9 categories listed below:
- Patient engagement / activation / patient-centered care
- Care coordination
- Service recovery (may be ambulatory)
- Courtesy and respect
- Patient education
- Careful listening
To meet the intent of EP23EO:
Questions established by the vendor as valid and reliable must be reviewed and aligned to the appropriate categories with the approval of the ANCC Magnet Recognition Program®. The same 4 categories must be presented for the entire organization (both inpatient and outpatient). Questions may vary unit to unit; however, the same 4 categories must be used across the organization.
- For single-organization applicants: The same 4 categories must be presented for the entire organization (both inpatient and outpatient). Questions may vary from unit to unit; however, the questions must still represent the same 4 categories.
- For system applicants: The same 4 categories must be presented for a single organization within the system; however, each organization may choose 4 different categories. Questions may vary from unit to unit; however, the questions must still represent the same four categories for a single organization within the system.
- For organizations with inpatient and outpatient areas, the four indicators chosen must be the same for inpatient and outpatient areas. For example, if you choose “Patient Education” as one of the indicators, provide the results for all inpatient units and outpatient areas that are surveyed for this indicator. Please note that the questions related to “Patient Education” in the inpatient area may not be worded the same as those for the outpatient area.
Gain expert insight with tips from Magnet Senior Analysts.
December 2014 Tips
- EP3EO: Nurse Satisfaction
- EP22EO: Nurse-Sensitive Clinical Indicators
- EP23EO: Patient Satisfaction with Nursing
October 2014 Tips
- EP22EO: CAUTI and CLABSI
- EP3EO, EP22EP, and EP23EO: Comparison Cohort (for Benchmark) in the Graph Presentations
- EP23EO: How to Align Questions in Patient Satisfaction Survey with the Nine Categories in the Magnet Manual
August 2014 Tips